12.12.10

Roasted Carnival Squash (And Seeds!)

I love fall. The colors, the smells, the holidays, ahh everything. And in the kitchen, it is squash time. Spaghetti is my all time favorite with acorn in close second. However, I have a new contender in play. At Wegmans the other day I just could not walk past the beautiful display of carnival squash. So I grabbed one. And I am very happy I did. A little sweeter than regular acorn (they look rather similar) and a little stringer like spaghetti, it is like a combination of wonderfullness in my tummy.

Roasted Carnival Squash (And Seeds!)

The Food
- A carnival squash (or acorn squash works perfectly this same way)
- Olive oil or melted butter
- Seasonings of your choice (I used Mrs Dash, Original for the squash, and Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt for the seeds)

The Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Cut the squash into wedges (I usually go for 8, but you can go more or less depending on size and preference)
Put the seeds aside in a small bowl

The Method- Squash
Put the wedges in a glass baking dish (rectangle, round, whatever fits!)
Brush with olive oil or butter
Sprinkle with seasonings
Roast until fork tender (fork goes in easily)
*Takes about an hour for 8 wedges from a pretty big carnival squash, a little less for smaller wedges and little more for thicker wedges. Just keep checking :)

The Method- Seeds
Pour a little olive oil or melted butter in the bowl with seeds (about 2 teaspoons maybe? for a palm-full of seeds)
Sprinkle with seasonings
Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet
Roast for about 5-6 minutes
Flip, stir, move the seeds around
Roast another about 5-6 minutes (or until you start to hear some pop)




Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love!