9.12.10

Mayo-less Coleslaw

Why the name coleslaw, by the way? Well, that is why they invented the internet...


History

The term "coleslaw" arose in the 20th century as an Anglicisation of the Dutch term "koolsla", a shortening of "koolsalade", which means "cabbage salad".

Thank you, Wikipedia :) And now, I can get on with my recipe.

Personally, I just cannot get past the idea of mayonnaise. And again, this recipe idea isn't original. Technically speaking, I am not really sure any recipe is original. I mean, seriously, people have been creating food dishes for thousands of years. SOMEONE has come up with that idea before. Anyways, I found this recipe on MDA the other day as I was searching for something to do with the head of cabbage in my fridge, awaiting its destiny in my stomach. Personally, I couldn't think of a better way for it to get there :) 

Mayo-less Coleslaw


The Food
- 3/4 cabbage (I ate the other 1/4 wedge with carrots sprayed with some olive oil in the toaster oven for a little alongside my smoked salmon and avocado :)
- 1 1/2 carrots
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Handful of walnuts

- Handful of craisins
- 1/3 avocado
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt


The Prep
Deface the cabbage by whatever means you so please (I used a mandolin slicer)
Shred/julianne the carrots
Crumble or chop the walnuts
Dice the avocado


The Method
Throw it all in a bowl in the above order, then stir it up! Let sit in the fridge for a few hours to merry the flavors. 


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love!