12.8.12

2 FOR 1!!! Parm-less Gluten Free Chicken "Parm" AND Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce Recipe


Yes, I understand that Chicken Parm should insinuate that there is Parmesan cheese smothered all over the top of this dish. And had I not been on the 21 Day Sugar Detox, there may have been. But I am, so I nixed the cheese. No big. Add it on it you want. But I think it's delish either way.


So update on this whole 21 DSD- rock on. It's been going well, although I could totally go for a Pumpkin Beer right now. Or glass of wine. Or shot of vodka. Okay, I have a problem. Just kidding, not really. Although I do like my drinky. Other than that, easy peasy. I dropped fruit/dried fruit as my daily snacks, get food without cheese if I eat out, and cook everything in coconut oil/olive oil instead of butter.

I kinda miss my nuts. Like wayyyy more than my wine. It's been kinda hard to get my fat in for snacks. I just remembered today I have a jar of kamalata olives in my fridge, score! Otherwise I've taken to dipping carrot sticks into my melted jar of coconut oil (I just got an AC unit this weekend, so it's crazy hot in my apartment usually and coconut oil melts fast :)

Outside of breakfast the first day and breakfast at home this weekend I haven't had bacon. Of course that's half of the days I've been through so far, but who's counting? Bacon is usually cured with sugar or maple, so technically it's a no go. As is Balsamic vinegar. Although I've kinda ignored that one. Avocado and/or coconut milk in my morning omelets have been a stellar stand in.

So. 17 days to do. I think I'll be fine. Especially with ballin' recipes like this. Seriously, I think I liked it way more than any other chicken parm-ish dish I've ever had.

Parm-less Gluten Free Chicken "Parm"
The Food
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup homemade tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs coconut oil

The Prep
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Seared, in process of saucing :)
Pound chicken to 1/3 inch, cut each breast in half
Line baking tray with foil and spray with olive oil
Set up dredge station:
    1. Mix coconut flour, half the salt, half the pepper, all the paprika, and all the garlic powder in a bowl
    2. Whisk the egg with the remaining salt and pepper

The Method
Heat 1-2 tbs olive oil a skillet over medium-high heat
Dredge chicken in egg first, then coat completely with flour mix
Sear chicken, one to two pieces at a time, 2-3 minutes each side (until browned), adding coconut oil as needed
*Make sure pan is nice and hot before adding chicken to get a real nice sear
Place on baking sheet, and top each with 2 tbs tomato sauce
Bake about 20 minutes, until center is over 165 degrees


Enjoy :)

Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce
The Food
- 6 lbs fresh, field grown, local tomatoes (yes, it makes a difference. otherwise use Roma tomatoes)
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs olive oil

The Prep
Core tomatoes and cut into quarters. Mash them up a bit

The Method
Heat 2 tsp olive oil with the slow cooker on high
Add onions and garlic, let cook for about an hour until nice and soft
Add tomatoes, herbs, salt, and remaining oil, mix to combine
Turn slow cooker to low and let cook about an hour
Using a hand mixer, blend to desired consistency (I went just a tad chunky)
Let cook on low for hours. Literally. Like 10-15 hours. Stir whenever.
* Mine was a bit watery, so I left the top off for about the last hour to "boil" out some of the water


Enjoy :)

This post is part of The Nourishing Gourmet's Pennywise Platter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love!