9.8.11

London Broil with Seared Swiss Chard


Perfect topic for tonight seeing as I just got off the phone with my brother and one of our discussions was about lifting. Being female, I apparently am not allowed to carry heavy boxes, move large shelving units, or slug bags of stone into customers vehicles. Well let me tell ya something, sweetheart, I lift weights as a hobby. Why? For starters, I enjoy the fact that I'm not helpless. If something is in my way, chances are, I can move it. If someone faints in front of me and they need to be picked up, I can move them. If I have children I will be able to pick them up and carry them whether they skin their knee or are being chased by a monster. And, on a final note, my physique is rather enviable (oops, is that a bit forward ;).


Lifting heavy things is something that was common place for our ancestors. Kill large beast, bring back to camp. Need shelter, cut down large tree and drag back to camp. Gather large amounts of food, bring back to camp. They didn't have cars, trucks, and SUVs. They didn't have cranes, forklifts, or tractors. Man power, baby! Our bodies are designed to be able to overcome obstacles requiring moving heavy things. Our muscling, joints, and appendages are proof of that.

Lifting also has several other benefits for the human body. Muscle development, bone density, weight management, injury prevention, and stress and anxiety reduction are just the tip of the iceberg. One of my favorite benefits, however, is the excuse to EAT MORE MEAT! To build our best muscles we need protein to ensure hormone synthesis. Sounds good to me!

Before I present the prefect recipe for muscle fuel, I must mention that, as with most things, everything in moderation. Shoot for 3 times a week, max. Your muscles need time to recover. Give yourself one day between heavy lifting. Then, fire up the grill for some delicious body boosting protein!

London Broil and Seared Swiss Chard
The Food
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- London Broil

- 1 bunch of Swiss chard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- More olive oil
- Sea salt
- Parmesan cheese, ribboned
- Semi-Sweet/Dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)

The Prep
Put the first 7 ingredients in a seal-able plastic bag
Add London broil and make sure the meat is coated
Marinate for about 8 hours, turning once if possible

The Method
London Broil
Heat charcoal grill to a medium-high heat
Place meat over direct heat and cook to your taste (about 7 minutes per side for medium-rare on a 2 1/2-3" cut)
Let rest about 10 minutes
Slice thinly against the grain

Swiss Chard
Heat some oil and the garlic in a saute pan over medium heat
Add several leaves of the Swiss chard
Add a pinch of sea salt
Remove leaves when wilted and put on a lipped serving dish
Add more leaves and salt
Add more oil as needed
Repeat until all leaves are cooked
Add a "gluge" of wine to deglaze the pan
Cook down just a bit and pour over cooked chard
Top with some ribboned Parmesan cheese

Serve Swiss alongside sliced meat with a roasted sweet potato on the side


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love!