25.3.11

Venison Meatloaf Wrapped in Bacon


Last night at my CrossFit Box I had one of the most frustrating WODs (work out of the day) yet. It consisted my full foot box jumps (okay, no worries), push ups (one of my arch nemesis), and toes to bar (generally, no worries). Well, to my dismay, the push ups went over relatively fine, but the toes to bar literally held me back about 5 minutes. My kip (the swinging motion to gain momentum) was totally off and I  was so caught up in my frustration that I could not mentally get up on the bar. It was horrible. Yes, I scrapped two toes to bar because my toes didn't hit, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I was determined to finish. And finish them well. When I did, I felt better.

Frustration can be a very beneficial thing. Maybe not in the moment, but it is a total signal of something that needs attention. What is causing the frustration? How can the frustration be overcome? From here you can set goals and make plans. Starting Wednesday at our box we have been on a mission to identify and "beat" our "goats". Colloquially defined as "things you hate to do or need improvement on", they are the source of your frustration. I certainly have quite a few. The WOD we did yesterday identified a huge goat that I need to work on- toes to bar.

So now that I identified my goat I made a goal to complete 3 sets of 15 toes to bar unbroken by April 15. My plan is to work on my kip this coming week, then 3 sets of 5 unbroken, 3 sets of 10 unbroken, and reach my goal the following class.

That's nice, you're thinking, but what does it have to do with me? Well, I've just demonstrated a S.M.A.R.T. goal and given an example of an execution plan. First, lets talk S.M.A.R.T. goals. This should be the only way you ever set goals.


  1. Specific- have a definite ending
  2. Measurable- clear cut if it was achieved or not
  3. Attainable- physically/mentally possible
  4. Realistic- not going to have to change the world to meet it
  5. Time- set to a time period
Once you set your S.M.A.R.T. goal, make a plan. Use the aspects of the goal to reach that plan. Think of it this way- make mini S.M.A.R.T. goals to reach your main S.M.A.R.T. goal. I broke my main goal into three sections; work on kip, complete 1/3 of my goal reps followed by completing 2/3. This gives me benchmarks. Goals should be held in highest regards but they are not set in stone. If I am working on my 1/3 set reps and I am further behind than anticipated, I can change my goal. It is better to achieve a goal than to be buried by one.

What are your goats? How are you going to beat them?* While you think about it, chow down some tasty deer and pig...



Mini Venison Meatloaf Wrapped in Bacon


The Food
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs almond meal
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 slices bacon

The Prep
Preheat oven to 350°

The Method
Put everything in a bowl except the bacon
Get'cho hands dirty and mix it all together until well blended
Place in baking dish
Cut slices of bacon so you can over the outside of your loaf of meat
Stick in oven for 35 minutes or until internal temp reaches 155
Switch oven to broil and cook another 5 minutes, until bacon is crisp and internal temp is 160
Give about 10 minutes to settle, and indulge in deliciousness




Enjoy :)

PS- This recipe makes about 2 servings.
PSS- You could totally use beef, pork, or any combo of ground meat. Just make sure to follow the recommendations for internal temp!

*Disclaimer- I am talking metaphorically. I do not beat goats. I actually own goats and I love them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love!